History of NTPU
Established in 1949, National Taipei University (NTPU) was preceded by Taiwan Provincial College of Public Administration, Administrative Extension Program, Taiwan Provincial College of Law and Business, and College of Law and Business, Taiwan Provincial Chung-Hsin University. In 2000, the institution made the transition into becoming the National Taipei University, which includes both Taipei (Mingsheng and Chienkuo campuses) and Sanxia campuses.
In February of 2011, NTPU formed the “United Taipei University System” with National Taipei University of Technology and Taipei Medical University becoming the second university alliance system in Taiwan.
Over the past few decades, the NTPU has traditionally played a significant and pivotal role in educating and developing the mid- and high-level talents in the areas of law, business, public administration, as well as social sciences. To date, several hundred thousand NTPU alumni have established themselves in a large number and wide range of important and significant positions with tremendous success, both in the public sector and the private sector of the country. They all indeed act as the major leaders in the areas of their expertise, and have made significant contribution to the country.
I. Taiwan Provincial College of Public Administration(TPCPA)
The Taiwan Provincial College of Public Administration(TPCPA) was established in November 1949 with the primary goal of providing education for the college students who had to stop their schooling when they relocated to Taiwan with the National Government. The school was also made responsible for training administrative personnel for different levels of civil servants needed for an autonomous and robust local government.
Mr. LU-SHENG ZUO, the president of TPCPA, also served as the principal of Taiwan Provincial Chenggong High School. In 1950, the school moved to Zhongxiao East Road, Taipei City. President ZUO resigned in July 1950, and Mr. ZHOU,YI-KUI was the successor.
Finally, the school built the school building at One Lane, Changchun Road, Taipei City (now known as 53 Hejiang Street). Since then, the teachers and students of the administrative colleges have been able to lay the foundation for sustainable development in the future.
II. Taiwan Provincial Extension School of Public Administration(PAES)
The Taiwan Provincial Extension School of Public Administration was established in the spring of 1950. During that time, the Ministry of Education tasked the Taiwan Youth Service Corp with the formation of a “Taipei Youth Hosting Station” to take care of the students of National Chang-Pai Normal College, members of the Hainan Youth Service Corp, as well as college students from different parts of Mainland China whose education has been discontinued due to the Kuomintang’s relocated to Taiwan. PAES was initially called “Taiwan Provincal Youth Service Affiliated Extension School for Administrative Personal.” In November 1950, its name was changed to “Taiwan Provincal Extension School for Administrative Personal;” it was later changed to “Taiwan Provincal Extension School of Public Administration.” Originally, the establishment of PAES was temporary in nature. However, the increase in thenumber of students with discontinued education in the ensuring years in the corresponding need for more classes. Consequently, the original one-and two-year programs were changed to two-year programs in the fall of 1954.
III. Taiwan Provincial College of Law and Business
Taiwan Provincial College of Law and Business was established in 1955 as a result of the merging of the Taiwan Provincial Extension School of Public Administration and Taiwan Provincial Extension School for Local Government Administration. The college started offering four-year programs in judicial administration (later renamed as public administration), law, land administration, sociology, finance(later renamed economics), industrial management (later renamed business management), and cooperative banking. In addition, an extension school was established to integrate the two-year programs of the PAES. Classes of the four-year programs were held at the Hejiang campus, while those of the extension school were held at Dachih. In September 1956, classes at the extension school were relocated to the Hejiang campus.
The college was located at No. 53, Hejiang St., Taipei City, the original address of the TPCPA. The Hejiang campus, located on the east side of the street, housed the administration and teaching centers, the main auditorium the library, classrooms, offices, as well as dormitories for students and faculty members. The west side of the street, housed the sports field; a library, social building, and administration building would be on its premises in later years. Due to budgetary constraints at that time, bidding and completion od many building projects often proceeded on a snail’s pace. The budget for the construction of social science building was made available through donations from alumni as well as the faculty and student body.
IV. College of Law and Business, Taiwan Provincial Chung-Hsin University
In July 1961, the Taiwan Provincial College of Law and Business and the Taiwan Provincial College of Agriculture merged to form the Taiwan Provincial Chung-Hsin University (National Chung-Hsin University). The The main campus of the university is located in Taichung City; however, the College of Law and Business remained in its original Taipei location.
In August 1971, Taiwan Provincial Chung-Hsin University was renamed National Chung-Hsin University, placing it directly under the Ministry od Education, and continually added Colleges of Life Sciences and other colleges have been successively established as a comprehensive national university.
In 1989, the Ministry of Education approved the proposal to relocate the College of Law and Business to Sanxia in New Taipei City. In 1992, the Executive Yuan approved the National Taipei University development plan. On February 5, 1993, the Ministry of Education approved the establishment of the NTPU preparatory office, assigning Prof. Guo, Kun Mo to take charge of it. During the preparatory period, many of the university’s development plans were carried out with overwhelming support and assistance from its alumni. In February 1999, Dean Guo retired and was succeeded by Dr. Li, Jian Xing, PhD.
Dr. Li moved the preparatory office to Sanxia Junior High School, which was located near the NTPU campus site, to expedite work done on the development program. Sanxia townsfolk donated a bronze falcon sculpture by Jiang Chong Mo, a noted Sanying artist, as a gesture to welcome the arrival of an institution for higher education into their town; several sectors of society also donated several thousands of old trees to be planted on the campus grounds. On March 18, 1999, construction began on the Humanities building, the first building on the site. On February 1, 2000, the National Taipei University was formally inaugurated.